Tuesday, 10 April 2012

Down on the Farm

I have done about 5 minutes of sewing today but as it was just finishing off the last bit of my Craft Fairy, I can't blog about it.

Instead, I want to tell you about the fantastic day we had today down on the farm.  But first... a little more about me.

I am Mummy to my two Dandelions who I thank God for every single day.  When I was in my teens, I had a partial thyroidectomy because a large lump had grown on it.  Apart from meaning that I now struggle to keep my weight within a healthy BMI, I was also told that it could affect my fertility.   And from that moment on, I resigned myself to the fact that I might not become a mum one day.  I am going to cut a long story short now because you guys already heard the ending!

After 13 happy wonderful years of marriage; after many prayers and oodles of highs and lows; and one Dandelion who didn't arrive as hoped, we now have two amazing individual full-of-life growing up so quickly Dandelions.  These Dandelions will henceforth be referred to as DD (Dandelion Daughter) who is 7 years old and DS (Dandelion Son)  who is nearly 2.  I will try not to be too gushing about them, but I'm sure you can tell I'm a doting parent at the best of times!

Today we took those two Dandelions to the Rare Breeds Centre near Tenterden, Kent.  We haven't been before but we were bowled over by what a fantastic family day out it was.  There is a petty farm which gave DS his first experience of stroking very gently rabbits, pygmy goats, guinea pigs, lambs, giant rabbits and even the cutest little chick.



There are also the most amazing play areas for the children, including zip wires, a Fort and woodland assault courses.  There are Tractor rides. a Discovery Garden and a Falconry Display, not to mention pig racing.  But what is most impressive about the whole Centre is that you can tell it was made with love and serves another very important purpose.

It is owned and run by the Canterbury Oast Trust which was founded in 1985 by parents of children with disabilities.  It now provides homes, care and training for people with learning and physical disabilities and the income from the Rare Breeds Centre enables them to continue their work.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I can't tell you how much I love a comment. It makes me smile one huge great big smile.