I couldn't find a free online block, so this is how I made my Jubilee inspired block in mostly pictures and a few words...
To make a finished block size 9 inches by 14 inches approximately
- 1 rectangle of fabric for the base of the block (mine is blue) measuring 9" x 14";
- 2 different colour strips of fabric measuring 2" x 42" (approx 2" by the width of fabric)**;
- 8 white 1" x 42" strips of fabric
- sewing machine
** alternatively, if you want to use a FQ or scraps for these pieces, you need two 2"x20" strips (of same fabric); and one 2"x18" and one 2"x11" (both of same fabric). The white 1" strips need to match these lengths as well.
1. Start by cutting your fabric to the sizes listed above. Here is my main blue rectangle which measures 9 inches by 14 inches.
Repeat for the other side of the rectangle.
Lining up tip: When you sew the second side of the strip into the diagonal, I found it helpful to line the rectangle up face up, then slide the rectangle side over so that its in the right place before flipping it over so that right sides are together.
6. Now measure your strip, it should measure 2 1/4". We need to know this measurement for our next series of cuts.
You should have now cut each of your triangles down by 1 1/8" each along the diagonal.
11. Now we are going to start on our St George's cross part of the flag. Cut your block in half on the longest side so that you end up with two long thin rectangles. To find my middle, I just fold my block in half and crease the middle with my finger.
12. Once again, you need to trim 1 1/8" (One and One Eighth inch) off either side of the middle of your block.
Cut your block in half again this time so that you end up with two short fat rectangles. Then cut 1 1/8" (One and One Eighth inch) from each side.
Your Union Jack block is complete!
I hope that all these instructions make sense. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to get in touch. If you make one, please link back to this tutorial if posting pics online and I would love it if you would add your pic to my Flikr group.