Friday, 13 April 2012

Messenger Bag


I know I have blogged a lot this week.  We have been off work for half-term and life is move along at a leisurely pace which is conducive to crafting, blogging and happiness generally.

As from next week, I am planning to blog a couple of times a week.

I spent a couple of hours making this sweet little messenger bag this afternoon.  I liked the pictures of the Peter Rabbit bag on the Noodlehead blog, but it wasn't exactly what I was looking for because I wanted to appliqué and quilt.  The Noodlehead handbag pattern I bought from that site is amazing.  Its the Runaround Bag (more on that soon as I have another on my To-Do list).

After a bit more searching, I realised that I might be able to make it up myself.  Gasp...and a little swingpants dance.  I only started sewing less than two years ago and so it is a great achievement for me to feel I can finally work out how to make something, even a simple little Messenger Bag, from scratch myself.
  

For a newbie sewing addict, it is always a triumph when the bag is all sewn up, turned right side out and top-stitched with no mistakes at all.  I had handles and flaps to get all the right way around!

I am really super pleased with how it turned out.  The fabric is Flutter and Flowers by Laura Berringer, teamed up with some navy linen and pink Gutterman thread.  I am feeling super virtuous because I even bothered to get out the Stitch-and-Tear to make sure that my appliqué and name embroidery went perfectly :halo:

I used a little bit of Quilters Dream wadding left over from the Owl quilt and more straight lines to quilt the outside of the bag.







Our niece, who lives in Florida now is going to be 4 years old at the beginning of May and she apparently loves bags.  So this will be winging its way to her real soon.


3 comments:

  1. You are a no reply comment blogger so I have come here to reply to you. Of course come and join the flickr group for the siblings together project and jump on in, that would be fantastic. You also need to join Brit Quilt (Flickr group) and get to know people there as well as perhaps coming to the Fat Quarterly London retreat in June AND linking up to my small blog linky on the first of every month. Lots for you to do there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there, I found you on Lily's Quilts, your work is amazing, I think you are really under selling yourself! I am sure you would make a wonderful quilt for Siblings Together. I have 2 young children too, Freya, nearly 3 and William, nearly 3 months, so I hardly have any time to make a quilt and that is why I wrote the poem :-) I see you went to Tonbridge - I am originally from Kent, but moved to Jersey last year. Small world! I am now a 'follower' and look forward to seeing what you come up with next! Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw Sarah thanks so much for your edifying comments. Your poem is wonderful. I think you will have made a lot of people well up with it.
    What a small world it is! I used to work in Tunbridge Wells!!
    Its hectic with little ones isn't it? but I try to get stitching every night once they are in bed even if its just for half an hour.
    I will 'Follow' your blog and look forward to seeing your creations too.
    Kind regards
    Liz
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete

I can't tell you how much I love a comment. It makes me smile one huge great big smile.