Saturday, 14 April 2012

Postage Stamp Placemats

I am really enjoying making Postage Stamp mini quilts.  For these Placemats, I used a Moda Jelly Roll called Just Wing It.  I followed this  from A Quilting Life blog.

I love ric-rac but when the time came to add it to these, it just didn't seem to work so instead I quilted it using the squiggly stitch on my gorgeous new Janome.  It reminds me of ric-rac, so it's a sort of compromise.

I machined the binding to the front of these a little while ago and I have enjoyed having a little hand-sewing to every evening to finish it off.

And during that hand sewing, I made a great discovery, using a thinner needle makes it so much easier... I know what a numpty!  before this, I was using a great big thick old needle for all my hand-sewing.  I am now on a quest to learn more about appropriate needle size use.

What needles do you use for handsewing your binding?

Leave me a comment and let me know.  I will be exceptionally grateful.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I can't wait until I have time to copy off your placemats!!!! They're lovely. Do you think you're an addict?????????!!!!!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fay
      I am definitely an addict.
      Hoping you will be one soon too ;0)

      Delete
  2. How gorgeous!!!! Will book some time to peruse your blog later - lovely!!

    Love Sarah
    http://sewnowwearefour.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Sarah - see you back here soon I hope xxxx Thanks for your positivity.

      Delete
  3. These are lovely! I hated binding the first time I did it but really enjoy it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not so keen on the handstitching binding to a big quilt bit I really enjoy placemats and table runners.

      What needles do you use though???? The thin ones I used this time were so much better but bent a little bit, so clearly weren't quite up to the task in hand.

      Delete

I can't tell you how much I love a comment. It makes me smile one huge great big smile.