Friday, 18 May 2012

Bloggers' Quilt Festival

I am so excited to tell you about the Blogger's Quilt Festival.

I'm a total newbie to the quilt blogging scene but from what I have seen in my limited experience, it is a friendly, caring community where inspiration is aplenty at every click.

There are some totally amazing quilts being shown over at the Festival.


As it's my first time of entering, I'm going to enter my most favourite quilt of all time... of course, it has to be My Owl Quilt, including all the gory details.  I had a little play with Instagram too, so some fresher looking pics.

Pattern: Hootenany from Dare to be Square by Boo Davis

Material: Klona Grey solid; Cartwheel, Pinwheel and Pixie Stick Posies by Erin Morris; Kaffe Fassett Green Spots, Roundabout Dots Green by Oliver & S and a selection of Klona solids in greens and blues.

Wadding: Quilters Dream Orient Wadding

Making this quilt was such an adventure for me.  I only started sewing two years ago after I wanted to make my son a bandana bib and got smitten with the sewing bug.  Mostly everything I made until recently was made by following an online tutorial.  The Owl Quilt was my first adventure into following an actual pattern.

The first block was a disaster and had to be scrapped, as I missed out a bit of Mr Owl's ear!

But I love the whole process of making this quilt.  From falling in love with the design in the book, to browsing online for fabrics, following the pattern (!ye,s me, the Queen of winging it, really just said that... I enjoyed following the patterm!!), placing the fabrics using Boo Davis' scraptastic guide placement and just about all the usual quilting steps as well.







Liz
xxxx

19 comments:

  1. So cute, fresh, and modern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well for a newbie you are doing very well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is so cute - how's the lucky one that gets to use it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a cute quilt! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute! and so current (owls, modern). Sooooo, see you at the FQ retreat then??? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, great quilt and great fabrics. I fail to see why you consider yourself a beginner?! If so, I should put off my trip to London, I'm far worse :o/
    Glad you finally made it :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. He looks fab! Oh, and I started quilting last September, you'll be fine lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very very cool! Great design and great fabrics~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job! Looks like the whole family loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! I love this design and you did such a lovely job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whooowhoooo--so fun!

    Hope you visit my blog too,

    margaret gunn
    www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know I am a mass-hoo-sive fan of this quilt, it's what led me to your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This owl is so happy looking and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's adorable! And welcome to blogland- it's a lot of fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. great quilt! how fun it is and what a nice job you've done. i think of quilting as a big puzzle--whether i'm following a pattern or just winging it! thanks for sharing and have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's really sweet! What a great quilt.

    ReplyDelete

I can't tell you how much I love a comment. It makes me smile one huge great big smile.