Saturday, 26 May 2012

Fat Quarterly London Linky Party 2012

So, today is the day when all of the attendees to the Fat Quarterly Retreat are linking up or blog hopping to get to know one another.

Fat Quarterly

Lynne over at Lily's Quilts is co-ordinating it and she started us off yesterday with this blog post.

So, this is me...


I am a thirty-something, married to my childhood sweetheart, blessed with two amazing ickle children (my Dandelions) who are 7 years and 2 years old.   By day, I am a full-on mama and a part-time probate lawyer, by night (or should I say early evening, but it doesn't sound half as mysterious) a fabric obsessed quilt dreamer.

We just got back from a gorgeous stroll by the sea, and here is a pic of me (doing my best pose! cringe!!) from today.  This is one of my favourite places on earth - Pett Level, East Sussex.  But shhhhh it's a local's secret.



What better way to introduce myself to you than to tell you something utterly embarrassing about myself.  Like, see me in that picture up there ^^ Did you notice my sequin jacket?  Maybe not but my work colleagues sure as heck did.  That picture was taken at our Christmas do, where they ribbed me senseless about my choice of attire!

I have lots of embarrassing stories to tell - a whole back catalogue in fact.  Most of them involve the fact that  birds seem to feel drawn to me.  Well, not birds exactly but more their poop!!! bleurghhhhh.  I was out shopping once years ago with my hubby and my mum.  They thought I was just lagging behind and both started whinging at me to catch up.  Meantime, I was trying to gesticulate to them and make them understand that I needed help.  A bird had just made a deposit right on me... worse than that... on my face... worse still... in my mouth :goes green at the thought: Yuk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Don't fret, it was ages ago and I have washed a LOT since and brushed my teeth even more ;0p

Even when we went to Disneyworld Florida, one of their exotic birds dooped on me in one of their Animal Kingdom trails.

Sewing skills

I only started sewing a couple of years ago after my little boy was born and I wanted to make him a bandana bib.  Since then, I just haven't been able to stop sewing.  Finally I have a creative outlet and now I love to make fantastical, colourful stitched items of every shape and size, but mostly quilts.  It was the lovely Kelly from Jeliquilts who got my interested in making quilted items.

Here is a collage of a few of those makes.



At the moment, I am quietly obsessing about Tula Pink fabric.  One of the first layer cakes I ever bought was her Neptune line from Moda.  After seeing this amazing picture (the top left one in this collage) on Skip to My Lou of her stand at the Quilt Festival.

Picture by Skip to my Lou

I'm not so keen on the gothic pirate ladies but the rest of her fabric is just a dream.  If anyone knows how I can get my hands on some in the UK, please let me know.

What's next

After the Retreat is over, I am planning to try and acquire the skills to make one of these fantastic Pencilmania Quilts from the Suppose Quilt shop/blog.

I love this pencil quilt - cant wait for the pattern which is going to be in an American quilting mag in May
Picture by Suppose

My supplies and the magazine featuring the pattern have arrived, along with a whole host of my favourite Pezzy Print fabric.  Now I just need to learn how to paper piece those pencil tips and I will be good to go!


I can't wait to meet everyone for real at the Retreat, but for today, I will be mostly hopping around the other blogs.

Before you go, let me tell you that my giveaway is still running today.  I am bowled over by the number of comments and my feet have been in a permanent :happy dance: because of all the new Followers.

Cheerio for today, but I hope you will pop back here again soon.
Happy sewing!
Liz
xxxx

28 comments:

  1. woohoo, you're an early bird like me - probably because we have kids - and a lawyer like me too (although I stopped lawyering 15 years ago so not much lawyer brain left in there really). I now too want to make that pencil quilt and will show you how to paper piece those points if we have a moment next weekend! Dead simple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, early bird, I was up at 4.30 UK time :( and was sewing by 5.30am... mind you was just putting up my mum's trousers before I go to UK. I love that pencil quilt, ohh wonder if I could get a mini one done for my son's teacher (he's leaving her class in July)
      Lynne, can I have a listen in too please.

      Delete
    2. Lynne, I want to learn how to make those pencil tips, too! And now I will have to get my blogpost done :o)))

      Christine

      Delete
  2. It is so nice to meet you Liz, I am going to look about your blog a bit more too. Those pencils make a great fun quilt, I hope you make one of those soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo hoo, can't wait to meet you irl!xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's wrong with your sequin jacket ?? you mean I have to unpack mine... :o(
    Can't wait to meet you, I have a 7 and a 4 year old.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Liz, looking forward to meeting you next week!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bring the jacket!!!! Looking forward to meeting you next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well not only are we both lawyers but I LOVE Tula Pink and especially her Parisville line! Can`t wait to meet you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooh I LOVE that pencils quilt! And I wish I had a sequin jacket to stun you all with at the weekend!

    See you soon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look forward to meeting you next week - hope you will be wearing the jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking forward to seeing (& maybe the jacket!) in person next week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. really looking forward to meeting you, Is your jacket suitable for hugs?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Liz, I think you are going to be the one I know best by then ;o) Bring an umbrella (aka bird's poop shield)!!!
    Can't wait to meet you in person :o))

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't seem the pencil quilt before, what a great project, So looking forward to FQ!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Laughing out loud at the poop story, and the jacket story - I reckon that's how I should spot you on the train! x

    ReplyDelete
  15. The pencils are cool! See you there (but perhaps not outside ;o) )

    ReplyDelete
  16. See you (and/or your jacket) next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fab! See you next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love that pencil pattern and can't wait to meet you at the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. See you next weekend!! Hope there are no low flying birds around!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wear the jacket! And take an umbrella - pigeon poop everywhere! See you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have a sequin jacket too and without being bigheaded I am VERY cool in mine! Lets wear them and out-bling everyone! Looking forward to seeing you. x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Can't wait to meet you in person!!! See you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes, looking forward to meeting you too!
    I'm a quilt dreamer too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oiii! I loved that jacket! It was awesome! We don't see enough of it. I think you should wear it to the office tomorrow. If anyone doesn't like it, they can sod off out of our office :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Waiting at the airport for check-in!!! Hope they let me take my sewing machine. See you tomorrow, Liz!!! (With or without my sewing machine!!!) Yayyyyyy!

    ReplyDelete

I can't tell you how much I love a comment. It makes me smile one huge great big smile.