Saturday, 9 June 2012

An inspiring trip to the theatre to see Steve Backshall



Yesterday my little Dandelion girl and I had a whole day out to ourselves.  We went to Royal Tunbridge Wells.  A place that is always a pleasure to visit.  

Source: Howfied Canterbury
We did a spot of shopping, ate noodles and cake for lunch and then went to the theatre for an early audience with the naturalist Steve Backshall.  Can I just say that its well worth clicking on that last link there!!!!!! He is one hell of a guy - inspirational, enthusiastic and gorgeous to boot.

Source: Wikipedia
He boldly told the children to plan for life like it was an adventure and to "savour every second".  He urged us all not to regret missed opportunities but to seize them with both hands.

During our train journey earlier that day, my little girl and I had stitched a little embroidery of Steve's Deadly 60 programme logo in the hope that we could get him to sign it as a keepsake.  He didn't disappoint.



During the show he reminded us that its only a recent development that humans spend so much of their time indoors engaged in sedentary pursuits rather than outside in the fresh air enjoying natural endorphins from physical exertion, discovering nature and learning to live in harmony with it.  He was extremely humble and gracious.  It was so refreshing to hear someone so positive and happy.

He brought the tales of his adventures to life, through his words and short V.T.s; he answered the children's questions and he finished up with this quote from T E Lawrence:-
This, therefore, is a faded dream of the time when I went down into the dust and noise of the Eastern market-place, and with my brain and muscles, with sweat and constant thinking, made others see my visions coming true. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible.

Today, as we were walking in our local woods, I couldn't help but identify with the things he had said.  I always feel so much better after my daily dog walk.  The sound of the birds singing and the smells of the woods are some of my favourite things.  My daughter too seemed to have absorbed a great deal and was more alive than ever to nature today.

Here is a picture of our darling little spaniel, who has taught me that I don't melt in the rain, that in fact skin is waterproof and that there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing!


Back soon with the Finished pencilmania mini quilt.
Cheerio for now.
Liz
xxxx

4 comments:

  1. Aghhh Liz I (erm I mean my 7 year old hehe) would *love* to go and see Steve! What a lovely day xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fab day, glad you both had so much fun :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fabulous that he signed your embroidery!! That's really special. He sounds like a great guy. And I love TW. What a lovely day you had. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! How do you feel about advertisements of any kinds put on blogging resources?

    ReplyDelete

I can't tell you how much I love a comment. It makes me smile one huge great big smile.