Sunday, 15 July 2012

My First Bee Block and Other News

I have had such a busy few days.

Not to mention that this morning hubster and I added "Running" back into our list of hobbies.  Well, I say Running but that word might be misleading.  

On Friday, I finally met the lovely Ceri of Inspired By Felix loveliness.  We were supposed to travel up to the Fat Quarterly Retreat together, before my bug ruined the whole affair.   I had a thoroughly wonderful and I am looking forward to our next meet, which hopefully will include more sewing action too.  Its so nice to be able to talk to someone about quilting/fabric/sewing and other musings.  Her little girl is just adorable.

I came home from Ceri's with a little bundle of gorgeous fabrics - including some texty prints that I have been lusting after.

I also left her's with a new dish idea for my kitchen; Beef and Guiness Stew.  I am always struggling to know what on earth to cook, especially now that there are four opinionated tasters in the house.  I rustled it up for yesterday's tea and everyone scoffed the lot!!

I still need to add some more culinary delights to my armoury, so please leave me a comment and tell me your favourite dish to cook.

In sewing news, this...


First FQRK Bee Block

I have finally sewn my first Bee Block for the Fat Quarterly Retreat Kinky Bee that was formed recently.  You might recall that I blogged about it here.

First FQRK Bee block

Kelly asked for One 19" block of circles.  She supplied all the materials and this is what I came up with.  A Circle Explosion for rainbowy fun.  I string paper pieced the large inner circle and then raw edge appliquéd various sized circles in a random explosion sort of a manner. 

Untitled

Oh gosh, I hope she likes it.

Finally, on future happenings around these parts...

I have fallen in love with a new quilt pattern.  Its called Space Dust and its just fuelling my *I love Tula Pink's new Birds and Bees fabric line* fire.  Its a pricey pattern but given the intricacy of the paper pieced individual block and the amazingly gorgeous end result, I am smitten.

Tula Pink Space Dust Quilt
Source: Tula Pink Space Dust Quilt by craktpot on Flikr


Now, I'm off to check on dinner.  It might take me some time! I will be walking around for the rest of the day in a rather embarrassing *first time back to running* muscles have all seized up sort of a way.

Cheerio and thanks for visiting.
Liz
xxxx

10 comments:

  1. I love your Bee block! Very clever with the swirly pattern. I must remember to send mine back to Kelly, although I do like looking at the happy colours! Can't wait to see them all sewn together x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your bee block. Great idea with the middle circle. Are you going to try that pattern? I'm thinking about it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love this block Liz - thankyou thankyou thankyou!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving the circles once again! And great fabrics to work with too.

    I love cooking mushroom risotto - I am not a veggie but I love this either as an accompaniment or just on its own. With porchini and normal mushrooms, and far too much parmesan cheese and butter it's just so rich and delicious! (I use Nigella's recipie in How to Eat).

    The Space Dust quilt looks awesome. And have you made a start on the pattern (I forget the name) that you purchased at the quilt show?

    Oh and good luck with the running!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your circle block looks fantastic, I am sure she will be thrilled

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh so lucky to get to spend the day with Ceri!

    Love the bee blocks, and I also love that pattern. BTW, did you know there's a QAL for it starting soon?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so nice to meet up with fellow bloggers. Glad that you and Ceri had a good time. Like your circles block. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Once again, I have fallen in love with your original design. :-) I love how you lined the circles up with their matching line in the central circle to bring the whole design into cohesion (sorry, I couldn't think of a more eloquent way to say that, but I'm sure you know what I mean).

    Beef Stroganoff is a favorite at our place and cooks up quick. In the time it takes to make the noodles, you can have the sauce ready to go! It's really simple and oh, so yummy!

    Fry up a pound of hamburger with a 1/2 an onion (chopped), 1 clove chopped garlic, 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms (or 1 can of canned mushrooms) and a 1/4 tsp of dry mustard. Drain the fat. While that's frying up, in another bowl mix together 1/2 cup beef broth, 1/2 cup mayo, and 1/2 sour cream (I use plain yogurt with 1 tbs. flour as sour cream is hard to come by in Japan) till creamy. Add to the drained hamburger and heat through. Serve over noodles or rice. Yum, yum, yum!

    (Sorry about that deletion up there. I forgot to tell you to add mushrooms and it's the mushrooms that make this so yummy! Any kind of mushrooms you have on hand work great.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this block and I'm gonna try the stew and feedback!

    ReplyDelete

I can't tell you how much I love a comment. It makes me smile one huge great big smile.