Friday, 31 August 2012

I Heart Selvedges

I :heart: Selvedges.

Yup, that's right I have completely fallen in love with the little blighters.

I love them even more now I have checked up on the correct spelling of the word {Selvage in the US and Selvedge in the UK} and found out this little gem too:-
The terms selvage and selvedge are a corruption of "self-edge", and have been in use since the 16th century.
I am planning to ask for blocks like these Spiderweb blocks when it's my turn in the Fat Quarterly Kinky Bee and my lovely team mates have already agreed to help me out by saving their selvs for me.  The lovely Carol, who is in the other half of the Bee, was so kind and sent me some of her's.  I am extremely very totally grateful to her and I can't tell you how much fun it is to play with someone else's selvs.  I feel like I just won the lottery!

My month is November, so there is quite a time to go, but I had to have a practise run and here is my first attempt.

Untitled

I can't wait to make seven more, so that I can see the spiderweb design emerge.

Untitled

Cheerio for today 
Liz
xxxx

10 comments:

  1. I love selvedges too but it takes ages to save a decent amount doesn't it?
    I like what you're doing with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That will make for a gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will dutifully keep all my selvedges for your Bee month! Looking forward to it. Although I still have to do August's blocks - we survived the summer holidays, but not much sewing got done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, great idea! I've been saving my selvedges up for a special yet-to-be determined project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i always wondered about the spelling!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never seen this before- how wonderful. must have a dabble myself

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those selvedges will make a beautiful quilt. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  8. It will be a stunner and I must remember not to throw my selvedges away :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your block look nice! In swedish the word for selvedge is: stadkant ;)
    Gun, Sweden

    ReplyDelete
  10. They do look rather fab! I'm saving them up for *something* just don't ask me what ;o)

    ReplyDelete

I can't tell you how much I love a comment. It makes me smile one huge great big smile.