Friday, 21 September 2012

Japanese + and x Block Tote

I am smiling.  With relief.  The tote I made for Di @ Willowbeck Designs arrived at her's today and she sent me a lovely email to say so.

And it means that I can show you what I have been sewing this last week.

I used the same tutorial for the tote as the one we are required to use for the Mouthy Stitches swap.  Luckily for me, it the tote pattern that I always go to first when I want to make a tote, but being the sewing deviant that I am, I always go off on a fabric tangent somewhat - usually my rectangles are a different size or my handles cut to the width of whatever fabric I grab for them. 

First of all I made a 10 inch Japanese + and x block.  I added a border to make it up to size for the front of the bag.  I also made sure to have a wider border at the bottom, as the corners take up some of the fabric when the bag is finished so I tried to compensate for that.
Untitled
Japanese + and x block tote

I spent all afternoon last weekend straight line quilting the outside of the bag, which I used extra special embroidery thread for and the batting was some Quilter's Dream.  It has quite a low loft and added enough strength to the bag when it was densely quilted so that I didn't feel I needed to interface the lining at all.

Untitled


I added another row of top stitching to the top of the bag after these photos were taken but I forgot to get a picture of that.

Untitled
The back of the bag and a keyfob to match

I used some of my favourite fabric for the lining and rustled up a simple key fob to match.

I loved making this for Di {she missed out on the signups for the Mouthy Stitches swap} and I am chuffed to bits that she is happy with it.

Thanks for popping by today.
Cheerio
Liz
xxxx

19 comments:

  1. it's so cool! I love the quilting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stop making loads of really nice things! ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely tote, Liz! Love the block, the fabrics and your straight line quilting!
    And it's funny to see, that you changed the pattern, I think I already change a patterns when I use it for the first time ;o) Seems that I can't stick to rules ;o)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you did a stunning job! Love it totally!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet idea! I love your tote.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love love love this! Did I mention I love this?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats so sweet of you! It's a lovely bag :-)
    *visiting from Jennifer's Follower Friday

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so lovely! The August Bee block was a nice one to put together so this is a great project to make from it. Love the quilting. Lucky Di!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is absolutely darling! I really like it ALOT!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so fortunate to have such a lovely and thoughtful bloggy friend. I cannot articulate how much I love the bag and appreciate your kindness Liz. THANK YOU. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks fantastic Liz! I really like the way those colors and that pattern pop against the dark gray background!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aside from liking your block, I love the dense quilting! And since you've made a couple of these now, I will turn to you if I have any questions when I work on mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this tote, how nice that you were able to help her be a bit mouthy on the side :o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a lovely bag, and I am pleased you thought to send it to Di, I am sorry she missed on the swap. Key fob looks good too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a gorgeous bag! I'm not surprised Di is delighted with it :)

    ReplyDelete

I can't tell you how much I love a comment. It makes me smile one huge great big smile.