Sunday, 7 October 2012

One Happy Finish

I am one happy lady.

I finished my Mouthy Stitches Swap tote today and it couldn't have turned out better.  You might remember that I was struggling, big time.  My partner's mosaic showed her very different tastes to mine and her intimidatingly fantastic blog had me absolutely knee knockingly worried.

I ditched my first idea mid-flow because it just didn't feel right and my partner left a fairly lukewarm comment on it on Flikr.

After a lot more thinking and an uncomfortable moment of sewista's block {which is very like writer's block but with a sewing machine}, I finally came up with a plan.

Untitled


Lots of Half Square Triangles.

Lots of points to match up.
DSCN8220

I have to say that I am very happy with this finish  - all the points; all the seams matching; all my calculations. They all went to plan... #unheardofeverbefore.

DSCN8213
The back of the bag - lying flat so the bottom HST looks strange in this pic.

I added a pocket inside and another little detail that I noticed in my partner's Flikr favourites.

DSCN8218


I made handles in my *default* grey and added topstitching in yellow and orange thread to tie it all together.

I know my partner is not so keen on cutesy whimsiness, so I am hoping that this Japanese import Penguin Fabric sits the right side of the line for her. I don't think they are cute or whimsical, so fingers crossed.

DSCN8212


The Mouthy Stitches mamas are a pretty strict bunch {a good thing in my humble opinion} and they have asked that we only send one *extra*, which is to be a key fob.  I made a matchy matchy one for my partner using some brilliant hardware that the lovely Ceri from InspiredbyFelix gave me.

DSCN8215


I am so relieved to have finished this item which I really sincerely hope it is perfect for my partner.  She has stretched me in a different direction to my norm.  I hope she loves it, as much as I do now.

Hope you have had a lovely day.
Cheerio
Liz
xxxx

22 comments:

  1. It is fantastic! Love the key fob too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tote is great, love the colors and front back details. Key fob is super cute and your partner is lucky to have you for a swappie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you have done and think it is good when we get pushed out our comfort zone. One of the reasons to do bees and swaps. Stretching us and making us do new stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is beautiful, I love it and good for you for sticking with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liz - it looks wonderful! Love the penguins and the HST's, there will be one lucky lady receiving that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so lovely! I love the orange and grey. And the key-ring loop is really funky - where did you get it? I'm sure your partner will love your thoughtful makes x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Susan is right - these swaps do make you do stuff you wouldn't normally contemplate, but you have gone the extra mile here... I think it's fabulous. Really fabulous. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you should be feeling very pleased with yourself: it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks fab - you should be proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Off to see if I left a lukewarm reaction to your first idea;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well your partner is very lucky. The bag is very lovely and the key ring is a good one! Di x

    ReplyDelete
  12. She is one lucky lady, it's gorgeous and perfect :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks great, love the colours and the penguins on the key fob :o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a fabulous design and I love the cute key fob too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think it's fab! Your partner is very lucky

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is bloody marvelous Liz - great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a great tote. The penguins don't read as cutesy at all - I didn't realise they were penguins until you said so and I looked again!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your tote bag and key fob looks great! Another bag setting the standard high! Stopping by from Plum and June, but also in the Mouthy swap with you:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks fantastic! I like the orange stitching on the straps! And that penguin fabric is super cute but totally not cutesy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is such a fabulous bag! Very modern and look how fab your points are! Well done! Loving the penguins!

    Thanks for popping by and leaving a comment on my blog - I went to reply to your question about the sushi block (it's in my Craftsy shop) but it showed you're a no reply blogger :(

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks so much for letting me know Kristy.
    I think I just fixed it and should be a normal reply blogger again. I am so fed up of it keep changing itself.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete

I can't tell you how much I love a comment. It makes me smile one huge great big smile.