Saturday, 3 November 2012

Mug Rug Love

Regular readers of my blog will know that I love the Japanese + and x block.  As November is my turn to be Mama Bee in our Fat Quarterly Retreat Kinky Bee, I was a little sad not to be making blocks for someone else.  So when the very lovely Carol from The Running Hare blog mentioned that she was also Mama Bee for the other half of our Bee and was requesting those much favoured blocks aforementioned, I just had to try and twist her arm to let me play with her fabrics too.  She acquiesced to my request and here are the blocks.

Japanese + and x blocks for Carol

I have to say that I really loved all the fabrics she sent.
I don't have much like these in my stash but they were so sumptuous and divine.

Japanese + and x blocks for Carol  

Those grey and white tiny spots were my faves of all.  

The left over fabric went back to Carol with the blocks but the little triangles that you trim off the *x* part of the blocks were languishing on my cutting mat when I went to sew yesterday.

As I am taking part in the Scrappy Swap on Flikr at the moment, it dawned on me that rather than just scoop those tiny triangles up and chuck them in the bin, I should give them a chance to be part of my swap item.  

So I sewed them all up and pressed all their little seams open.  And then I sewed those little squares together and pressed their seams open until at last this little block was born...

Untitled

The little squares are just over an inch each.

My scrappy swap partner indicated that she wouldn't mind a Mug Rug, so I thought I would add a border and bind it {following Kerry Berry's super single binding tutorial}.  I hand stitched the binding to the back and I have to say that I am very happy with how it ended up.   In fact, I think I might have to make a few more Mug Rugs now because I really enjoyed the process of seeing this little mini quilt come together.

Scrappy Swap Mug Rug

The border is Melody Miller and the binding is Orange Essex Linen with Oakshott purple/orange weft scrappy feature.

Fingers crossed my partner likes it too.

Cheerio for now
Liz 
xxxx

11 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed making those X & + blocks for Sue too - I can see why you wanted another go! I have lots of selvedges now and am itching to get started on a block. I am not sure I will ever look at fabric the same way now - I am going to be checking out selvedges forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really fond of X & O blocks, too although I've only ever made one. And your mug rug is too gorgeous for words! What a little work of art!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's fab!! Such a great use of scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for your lovely comments.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way a few little scrappy bits sew up into something so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh gorgeous mini and blocks, but you need to stop thrwing yourself at other non-bumblie Bee member's ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the mug rug Liz! Thrifty sewing at its best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great way to use the scraps, the mug rug is perfect! Great work, as always Liz xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just catching up now I'm home, fab wee projects you've been working on, especially the teeny triangles!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely blocks and what a gorgeous mug rug! As always beautiful makes xx
    Your love of + and x blocks inspired me to make one into a tote!! Yes, completely copying the one you made!!!

    ReplyDelete

I can't tell you how much I love a comment. It makes me smile one huge great big smile.