Sunday, 2 December 2012

Flange Fan

The other day, when my Scrappy Swap from Moira arrived, I was so excited by all the different colours in the scraps that she sent me.  There were sumptuous oranges, bright yellows and tantalising teals.

I couldn't wait to get stitching those little beauties together.

I decided it was the perfect time to try out a block that I have been eyeing for ages in the Fat Quarterly Shape Workshop for Quilters book; the Quarter Twist block.  It is a very cool looking block, but let me tell you, it includes a lot of curves.

Swap Ideas

There are five pieces of fabric in each block.  Those colours just don't show up vibrantly enough in this dull English winter light, I'm afraid.

Quarter Twist block

I added in some of the text prints that recently arrived from the Text Charm Swap.

I am planning to make this into a cushion, so I wanted to add a few borders.

It needed a little pop of orange, so I thought I would try out a flange.

Hee hee... yup, that's right, I did say FLANGE!!

Isn't it just the most hilarious word in sewing.

But I have to say that I love the impact it has on the block.  I added one of the borders, but I still want to add a teal border too.

Adding a flange and the first border

Flange close up

The extra work involved in adding in a flange is definitely worth it.

I followed this tutorial and my flange strip measured 7/8th inch before it was ironed in half.

I am definitely a Flange Fan now.

I hope you have a lovely Sunday.
Cheerio for now 
Liz
xxxx

13 comments:

  1. Love the block and your flange sets it off perfectly. You are going to have us all snorting at the word now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. please stop saying flange. You're making me giggle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A flange? That's a new one on me, but the end result looks cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohhh I saw something in one of the ebooks I got that I'm not supposed to have looked at lol.... think it was skip the borders
    never tried one but love yours

    ReplyDelete
  5. One clever block and the flange (?) sets it off perfectly. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  6. it looks fab but seriously "flange" has got to go on the banned word list

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha ha - great tutorial - I might add a fange myself to a cushion. Hope you don't get any wierd comments!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh look at you girlfriend!! You did a wonderful job on that! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do love the word flange!!!! Love your version of the block too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks great, but please stop writing Flange it makes me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your Flange ha ha ha! It does make a lovely window for the block. Great work x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice flange, and might i say i am doubly impressed as you have used the fabric I put in for the texty swap, and it looks fab!

    ReplyDelete

I can't tell you how much I love a comment. It makes me smile one huge great big smile.