Friday, 21 June 2013

Back To It

I'm so sorry to be completely utterly behind on my replies to comments.  I love, love, love reading all your fabulous comments.  I will be back on it soon, promise.

In the meantime, I only went and managed to make a whole something!

When I met up with sewing Bee in London a little while ago, Moira of the Kettleboiler goodness showed us a bag that she had made using the *For Pleats Sake* free pattern over at U-Handbag.
Untitled
For Pleats Sake bag
It has short leather handles, which I hadn't much ever fancied before seeing Moira's bag. 

But now... I am a total convert!

Leather bag handles are the biz.

I know that they add a whole heap of £££'s to the price of a bag but they really do make it into something special.  This pair of leather elbow handles cost £12.50 at U-Handbag.  I have ordered a whole heap of goodies from Lisa's online shop recently and I am really impressed with the quality of everything she stocks.

I changed the pattern a little bit {successfully...which is a first for me!} because I didn't pleat the lining because I wanted to add a magnetic snap closure and internal pocket.

Untitled
Inside pocket
The handles do have to be handstitched through all the layers.  I used some lovely Perle cotton and held them in place with some Clover wonderclips, and stitched all four on in less time than it took me to drool over the latest episode of *Hawaii 5-0*.

Untitled
Add a fabric badge

We just started up a {small} Badge Making business with little miss dandelion, and I couldn't resist using the machine to make some matchy fabric ones for my bag.

They really add a new element to the bag and I love that lining fabric so much, so I'm glad to have a little bit on the outside too.


Untitled
Or Keyring
Untitled
I am thinking of adding some badges to the outside saying Ring Ring!

We are taking the badge machine to the Fat Quarterly Retreat for Quilt Market night, so if you fancy a badge, keyring, magnet or mirror made with your precious scraps, bring them with you. 

I will show you the luscious Liberty magnets next time. They are so utterly lush that I can hardly bear to sell them all! 

Liz 
xxxx


13 comments:

  1. Gorgeous bag!! I love badges and the ring ring ones sound like a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous bag and a great badge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this bag so much! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bag is lovely and the lining and badge set it off. I'll bring some scraps with me as too. I have some leather bag handles ready to make the same bag.....but I dismantled one from a charity shop....far cheaper and someone benefits from the donation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's beautiful, liz. you've got me wanting to make another one now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liberty magnets you say...!!! What were you saying before that!? Love that bag xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the bag and how you have customised it. Now forget Mrs H above, my elbows are way sharper and I want to be first in the queue for Liberty magnets! Badges too....Di x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable bag! I love that lining, too. It's okay if you don't ever respond to my comments. In fact, blogger makes me no reply. Just visit my blog. =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful bag L! You're right, the lining is gorgeous! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the leather handles too. Going to dig out some scraps to bring to FQR for some matchy-matchy badges! What fun x

    ReplyDelete
  11. wonderful bag!!! love your fabric choices, the pez looks so good with that linen/jeans outer fabric

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous bag! And oh my goodness I am so excited that you are bringing your badge making machine to FQR!! I am already thinking about which fabrics to have converted into buttons!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute, love the phone on the front

    ReplyDelete

I can't tell you how much I love a comment. It makes me smile one huge great big smile.