Wednesday, 24 July 2013

Is it over... already?!

Is it over already?!?!?!

The Fat Quarterly Retreat in London this weekend, that is.

I can't believe how quickly time flies when you're having fun.  I'm pretty sure I only just woke up on Friday morning and now the event that we have been talking about, planning and making for is done.

I went with my two besties Ceri and Nikki, who just happen to be my *real life* friends too!

Fat Quarterly Retreat 2013
Preping for classes on the train

Sadly, I didn't take very many photos - probably too busy talking and laughing.  I only managed a few quick snaps on my phone so the quality isn't great.

Fat Quarterly Retreat 2013
Meeting Sarah *Quilt Candy*
On Saturday night, quite by chance, Sarah managed to {inadvertently} invite Mr Aurifil out for cocktails with us.  We tried to ply him with drink and get him to hand over all his lovely threads but he wasn't compliant!

Saturday night cocktails
Saturday cocktails
On Sunday after class had finished, I managed to spend a little bit of time with the lovely Christine who had traveled all the way from Germany.  Christine has become a very dear bloggy friend to me over the last year. We were supposed to meet at the Retreat in 2012 but illness struck, so it was fantastic to finally meet her.  We popped along to the V&A Museum which was within spitting distance of the venue.

Fat Quarterly Retreat 2013
V&A with Christine and Nikki 
The classes at the Retreat were great.  Particular highlights for me have to be Lu Summers' Hand Quilting class on Sunday morning.  Sadly, I was a bit hungover from our cocktails the night before but she is hilarious, personable and incredibly talented.

Fat Quarterly Retreat 2013
Lu Summers teaching hand quilting

I also really enjoyed the paper piecing class with Joanna from Shapemoth blog and Julianna from the Sewing Under Rainbow blog.  They were both really charming and, despite English not being their first language, were able to impart some real gems of knowledge about intricate paper piecing, along with a whole host of tips too.  

Ceri and I, helped by our lovely friends Nikki and Terri, had a very successful evening on our badge/handbag mirror/keyring/magnet stall at the Quilt Market on Saturday night.   We were busy all evening and I know that a few people have said that they didn't manage to get to us for the crowds!  So, if you missed out, or meant to transform your favourite piece of fabric into one of the aforementioned items, just let me or Ceri know and we will happily assist.

It was an absolute blast and I can't wait for the next chance to meet up with the nation's Sewistas... hopefully soon.


22 comments:

  1. Was lovely to meet you. No wonder Mr Aurifil has such a big smile on his face being surrounded by all you pretty ladies. :-) I saw the badge/magnet/mirror stall when I came into quilt market but couldn't get near enough to see what was going on! Was gutted to have missed Lu's class too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to meet you! I missed out on your stall because I had to duck out early from quilt market and you were so busy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds brilliant, I hope I can be there next year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was great to meet you. Can't believe you took Mr. aurifil for cocktails - you floozy! (Really very jealous)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not jealous at all. Next year I will be there! On the plus side I have now booked myself onto a photography weekend I have been wanting to do for three years, so I may have missed out on the FQR, but I have that to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful weekend! It was lovely to see you, albeit briefly, but get you and Mr Aurifil!! Shame he didn't comply ;) XXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wish we'd have had more time. See you soon lovely lady x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Check you out smoozing with Mr Aurifil! Fabulous to finally meet you

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you very much, Liz, for taking me to the V&A! It was so much fun to meet you after all that blogging and commenting and after waiting more than a year! It was well worth the wait :o) Hope to see you again in the near future and to keep in virtual contact meanwhile!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cocktails with Mr Aurifil?!?! Liz you little mnx!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your market stall was the favourite stall there I think. What a great weekend and so good to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well get you, cocktails with Mr A!!! Di x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hungover? Shocking behaviour, anyone would think you'd all been able to abandon your kids for the weekend ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It was great meeting you Liz! Glad to have you in my blog reader now, look forward to seeing your upcoming creations :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was SO lovely to meet you Liz after all this time, and your besties too, I had such fun with you all!! I really hope we get to do it again sometime!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have you seen the evils the man in the first photo is giving you?!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful Review. Next Year we take some time to Talk, promised? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're so right - it just went by in a blur! So glad to get to chuckle along with you a bit more this year! Might see you again later this year! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooh you kept quiet about cocktails with Mr Aurifil! I missed out on your buttons as the crowd around the table was so deep. Perhaps next year!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wish I could have been there with you Liz, sounds like you all had the best time, thinking I may have to fly over and join you all next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great to meet you briefly, sad I didn't spend more time (and money) at market but I had a dinner date with my brother, would love to see more of your stall - are there pictures somewhere?

    ReplyDelete

I can't tell you how much I love a comment. It makes me smile one huge great big smile.