Sunday, 4 August 2013

Yippee! Explored!

Yesterday something a little bit exciting happened.

The littlest Dandelion has been poorly {this, of course, is not the exciting bit} with a temperature for the last few days, so I had a little bit of extra sewing time; the only perk to having a small sickly child has to be a return to daytime naps.  As a result, I managed to get the Sewing Machine cover quilted.

It was a wonderful sewing day... you know, one of those days where every stitch goes perfectly.

I remembered to make my quilt sandwich with the right needle punched side of the batting up.  I didn't even know about there being a right way or a wrong way for batting until the Fat Quarterly Retreat class with Trudi!

Untitled

I popped a new *topstitch* needle size 90 in my machine, rather than ploughing on with the same old piecing needle that was probably a universal one.

Untitled


I even remembered to lengthen my stitch to 4.0 and, with my walking foot at the ready, I was off on a randomly spaced straight line quilting bonanza.

Untitled

I uploaded a few photos to Flickr and added one to the Sew Sew Modern swap group and then I had to rush out with my little girl who was dancing at a local fete.  

It was there that my mobile telephone started to beep...

I am not a prolific texter and I quite neglect my mobile in fact, so it was a surprise to me when the regularity of it's notifications make a sound like some old rave anthem.

Guess what!  My ickle old photo got put on Flickr Explore... yippee! *proper geek out moment*  It's pretty exciting when the number of views on a photo hits the thousands.

Sew Sew Modern 3

Back to the project though, after all the heady excitement of Explore...

I'm pretty happy with how this is coming together :understatement:

Thankfully, this cover doesn't fit my sewing machine, otherwise I think I would really have a hard time putting this in the post!  Even more exciting is that the recipient of this secret swap item has commented on the photo saying that she likes what she sees, which is truly fabulous news.

Happy Sunday all
xxxx

24 comments:

  1. Hope your little one is feeling better - nice upside to have a bit of sewing time!

    The sewing machine cover looks fabulous! Well done on the explore - very exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it really deserved the explore! It's gorgeous, what a lucky recipient!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Batting has a right side?! Who knew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not surprised it made it onto explore - it is really lovely and that bit different! Hope your wee one feels better x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this is beautiful! Not sure I would be able to part with this. You will haver make yourself one equally brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could never part with it! Glad your partner loves it too! And congrats on explore! Hope your little one is better soonest x

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK...I didn't know there was a right and a wrong side to batting either. Do tell all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done Liz, it deserves getting onto explore. Hope littlest dandelion is improving!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You learn something new every day! I didn't know there was a right or wrong side, I will be trying this out, thank you! Well done on Explore - it is a fabulous cover! Hope E is on the mend xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope the poorly one has snapped out of it now.
    Congrats; it's a beautiful bit of stitchery!

    ReplyDelete
  11. She'd have to be a lunatic not to like it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is blinking perfect!! Shame they liked it or you could have just sent it to me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. another fab creation. maybe you could keep it and make something else for your swap? Hugs to the little guy (and his mum) x

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is awesome! Not surprising because it is totally gorgeous!! Love all the different elements.
    Hope the little one is better soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's a stunner L and so worthy of being on Explore! Hope little one feels better soon! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks fantastic. Congrats on the Explore!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How very exciting and a lovely make.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's fantastic! I had no idea about the batting thing either til I read it just now!

    ReplyDelete
  19. it really is so lovely! Congratulations :-D

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is FABULOUS! I love everything about it ; )

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's 'sew' gorgeous........ See what I did there?! I think we need Trudi to do a little quilting tutorial post for those of us not lucky enough to be in her class who missed out on all these little pearls of wisdom...... Off to find her now....

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yay on the Explore and what an amazing quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Liz! I want to make a quilt like this! I just love everything! I need to collect some low volumes to start! Thank you for inspiration! x Teje

    ReplyDelete

I can't tell you how much I love a comment. It makes me smile one huge great big smile.